top ten places to visit in barcelona
I am fan number one in Barcelona, but there are ten places I would recommend to any tourist, they are unique and not possible to miss if you visit my town:
1. Sagrada Familia – starting the “Gaudi league”, there’s the church of the sacred family. This monument is yet being built. Yes, that’s right! it was designed by Antoni Gaudi, probably the most influential inhabitant in Barcelona up to the moment.
2. Casa Batlló – starring Gaudi, this is the most colourful building by him. It is located right in the middle of Paseo de Gracia.
3. La Pedrera – also made by Gaudi, this is located on a corner. You will see the incredible works of art Gaudi played with rock and iron, at Paseo de Gracia as well.
4. Park Güell – last but not least, this park was design to host luxury villas, but eventually it was donated to the City Council who opened it up to public.
5. Montjuich – getting of at Plaza d’Espanya you can easily climb up the mountain to the Olympic area where fashionable stadiums, buildings and parks exist surrounded by the best views of Barcelona.
6. Sea side Villa Olimpica – starting from Torre Mapfre and Hotel Arts towers, this is the most lively place in town during spring and early summer. Bikes, roller skaters and beach sunbathers melt together in this area.
7. Barri Gòtic – Cathedral – this district is where the history was made. It hosts most of the historical buildings in Barcelona: the cathedral, the city council, the local government, roman, gothic, neoclassical and modern buildings
8. Barri de la Ribera (el Born) – this area is filled with bars and restaurants. It is a lively district specially at night.
9. Museum of National Art of Catalunya – the MNAC museum atop the Montjuich mountain hosts one of the best collections in romanisque art in the world. This type of art is dated from XI-XIII centuries and it was very intense in the north of Spain in contrast with the arabic influentia in the rest of the peninsula.
10. Las Ramblas – Walking down las Ramblas on a sunny day is incredible. You will see loads of different people, shops and anything you can think of. Just two precautions: don’t look too tourist and do not take a 1 litter beer on a terrace, locals don’t do that.